'our creation is that guru; the duration of our lives is that guru; our trials, illnesses and calamaties is that guru. There is a guru that is nearby and a guru that is beyond the beyond. I humbly make my offering to the guru, the beautiful remover of ignorance, the enlightenment principle that is within me and surrounds me at all times.'
Guru Stotram

Thursday 25 February 2010

I went to the private view of Irving Penn at the NPG last week with my wonderful French photographer friend Marité. I pointed out my favourite photograph, a portrait of Willem de Kooning and Frederick Kiesler taken in New York in May 1960.

"You're not looking at the photograph darling, you're looking at the man. Attractive older man you're latest thing is it?" she enquired.
How maddening the French can be.


Irving Penn Portraits
National Portrait Gallery
until 6 June 2010


"we don't call them shoots here. We don't shoot people. It's really a love affair."
Irving Penn

No comments: